Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Widmer Brothers Brewing - Downward Spiral

Perfect beer to wind down with?
Another happy hump day! I'm drinking beer and catching up on Brew Dogs. I like the show, but I can't understand a word those two Scottish hosts say. I could really use some subtitles. Yeah, I know I sound like an ugly Cascadian, but seriously, I'm only comprehending every third or fourth word.

Anyway, I'm watching the Brew Dogs episode they filmed in Portland. (They pronounce it "Purtlund".) I'm glad they more or less admitted that they couldn't find any "craft beer virgins" to convert here in Stumptown. People know beer here. Duh.

I wish the program was a little more serious. The whole brewing beer on a raft or on a roof or upside down thing is kind of...stupid, if you ask me. Oh, great, now they're naked. Anyway, I'll get going on my review of the beer at hand--beer that was brewed in a brewery.

Widmer Downward Spiral is an Imperial India Pale LAGER (IIPL?) with an ABV of 9%. The label says it was aged on oak spirals. Cool.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a clear, golden orange color. The white head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated slowly. A sudsy web of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was citrus and pine up front. Sweet malt and oak in the background. Notes of tropical and stone fruit.

Taste was citrus hops: orange and grapefruit. Malt flavor came on very sweet at first sip. Almost cloying, but the sweetness was shortly chased away by a big, spicy oak flavor and a sock of alcohol. Pineapple, guava and peach rolled around in the mix.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Just a little syrupy in the finish. That oak flavor remained on the palate at the very end, along with some juicy fruit.

Downward Spiral is definitely different. I like it and was pleasantly surprised. It's not just one of the usual suspects. I'm giving it a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. No reaction from the Wonder Beagle to this brew, by the way. She laid there, about two feet away, snoozing during the entire time I was drinking Downward Spiral.



No comments:

Post a Comment