Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Port Brewing Company - Wipeout IPA

Ah, ah, ah WIPEOUT!
Craft beer nation! Yeah, baby! There are craft brewers whipping up all kinds of awesome beers all over these here United States! Gawd, I love 'Murica!

My second favorite craft beer city is San Diego, CA. (Guess which burg is my numero uno. Come on, guess.) Loads and loads of amazing brews come out of the San Diego area, but that low, low, lowest end of SoCal is probably most famous for its giant, hop monster IPA's. There are so many!

Thanks to the magic of FedEx, I was able to get my mitts on some San Diego beers. (Beer trading via Twitter hasn't let me down yet.) One of the beers I received via beermail was Port Brewing Company's Wipeout IPA. I was fortunate enough to visit Ocean Beach, CA this summer and had many, many, tasty IPA's. Port Brewing Company was one of the brewers that very much impressed me with their hop aggressive, West Coast style beers. That's some good stuff.

Wipeout IPA comes with a 7% ABV and was brewed with Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe and Summitt hops. Man, that's a helluva hops pedigree, I'll tell you what.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a hazy, golden orange color with a massive, off-white head. That head rose up to two fingers thick. It was clumpy and creamy and lasted for-eff-er. Wow.

Aroma was huge on citrus: grapefruit and orange. Lots of indistinct tropical fruit. Sweet malt in the background.

Taste. Big bitter zing to the taste buds right from the get go. Citrus and pine. Grapefruit, orange, tangerine and pineapple were the predominant fruit flavors. When the pucker wore off, there was a nice, light, earthy malt.

Medium mouthfeel with just a bit of a chew to it. Good carbonation kept it lively. There was just a bit of an alcohol sting--a tiny amount of astringency--but not enough to mess things up on the palate.

This is certainly a hop forward IPA. Not for beginners. It's got a punch to it. Really, really good brew. I'd drink one again any day, anytime. I'm giving Wipeout IPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. The Wonder Beagle was interested as soon as the cap came off the bomber, thus, Wipeout also earns a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment