Sunday, October 13, 2013

Occidental Brewing Company - Altbier

Lil' bit o' Germany in a can.
I'm of German ancestry but I gotta admit, I don't know much about Germans, Germany or German beer. Never been there, don't speak a word of the lingo, and it's unlikely I'll ever take a trip across the Atlantic to check it out. Vacation funds are limited and, you know, I'd rather go to Cabo or Hawaii. Sorry Grandpa Karl.

Luckily, I don't have to go to Germany to sample fresh German style beers. Occidental Brewing Company, located right here in Portland, Oregon, specializes in brews of the "Continental" style.

Tonight, I tried a can of Altbier. It's described as Occidental's "take on Dusseldorf's broad style" and "features our most complex grain bill, which produces a malty, amber beer with a lot of flavor." The ABV comes in at 5.3%.

The beer poured into my glass a clear, amber color with a bright, bubbly, white head. The head came up to about a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated quickly. A thin cap of lacing was left behind. Lots and lots of pinpoint carbonation could be seen running up the glass.

Aroma was big on sweet caramel malt. Very light lemon and hints of bready grain in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Very malt forward. Lemony hops. Nutty, grainy. A little spicy.

Medium mouthfeel with a significant amount of carbonation. Dry finish with that delicious malt flavor left behind on the palate.

Tasty brew. Very drinkable and quite refreshing. This is a great beer to have with a meal. I used it to wash down my wife's delicious beef stew. Good stuff and I'm giving Altbier a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment