Friday, October 11, 2013

McMenamins Breweries - Black Widow Porter

This widow has a bite.
Not all Fall seasonal ales have pumpkin in them--thank goodness. McMenamins is set to release their Black Widow Porter at all of their locations from October 15th until Halloween. I was lucky enough to sample a bomber of this special Halloween brew yesterday. What a treat! 

If you live in Portland or surrounding environs, it's likely that there is a McMenamins pub near you. Therefore, I highly recommend you take a trek over there and get yourself a pint...or three. The Kennedy School is right down the street from my house. They'll be getting a visit from me soon. 

Black Widow Porter comes with an ABV of 7.35%. It's brewed with Chinook and Sterling hops and Licorice Root. It also has one of the coolest pieces of label art that I've ever seen. Check out that scary spider with the single spooky eye. Yikes!

The beer poured into my pint glass a dark, dark brown. The color was almost a solid black, but when held up to the light displayed some deep amber hues. The mocha head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated slowly. A solid cap of creamy lacing was left behind.

Smell was roasted malt, caramel, cocoa and coffee up front. Aroma of over-ripe fruit in the background. Plums, dates and cherries. I could also detect a hint of licorice.

Taste was SMOOTH. That's how I like a porter. No sharp edges. Toasted dark malt. Espresso and chocolate. The flavors all blended together with just the right amount of hops bitterness. Delicious.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. There's some nice chewiness to this brew, but it doesn't coat the tonsils. It's an easy drinker. Tasty malt flavor was left on the palate.

This is a great beer that left me wanting more as soon as I polished off the bomber. Merry the Wonder Beagle really went gonzo over the smell. She pounced on me commando-style and was quite a ticked off pooch when she saw that I had finished it without offering her a sip. She was giving me stinkeye from across the room most of the night. I'm giving Black Widow Porter a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.



No comments:

Post a Comment