Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales - Fresh Hop Seizoen

Fresh hop 'til you drop.
Every once in a while, you have to treat yourself. No guilt. You deserve it. A rare cigar, premium tickets to a sporting event, a fine craft beer, whatever trips your trigger.

Today, I've been sitting around nursing my finger and feeling sorry for myself. I smashed it up good enough to need surgery yesterday. Ow. Oh, ow. I needed something to cheer myself up. It didn't take long before I was perusing the cold case at my favorite local bottle shop. Did I find something to improve my mood? You bet I did.

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales Fresh Hop Seizoen hails from Hood River, Oregon. Their brews are all certified organic by Oregon Tilth, and this one comes with an ABV of 7.5%.

The beer poured from 750 ml bottle into my tulip snifter a hazy, golden yellow color. The sudsy white head rose up ahead of some significant carbonation and reached about a 1/2 inch high. The head dissipated slowly and left a ring of webby lace behind.

Aroma was Belgian yeast and lots of fruit. Tropical, stone and citrus fruit smells were quite abundant. Floral notes with light, grainy malt in the background.

Taste was more citrus than my nose detected. Lemon and orange. Spicy and slightly peppery. Mild hops bitterness. Bready, yeasty. No noticeable alcohol taste. Delicious.

Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Sightly dry finish. Pleasant hops, malt and zingy spice flavors were all subtly left behind on the palate to savor.

Ahhhh. This beer is exactly what I needed. The fresh hops were apparent without being over-powering. Mild sour pucker and appropriate level of complexity for the price of admission. I'm giving Fresh Hop Seizoen a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment