Saturday, October 19, 2013

Left Coast Brewing Company - Hop Juice

The juice is loose.
San Clemente, CA. I had many awesome adventures at a little surfing spot called "Trestles" back in the day. I'd always park my car around Carl's Jr. off the Cristianitos (sp?) exit in San Clemente and walk the long trek down to the beach. Seriously, the beach was fairly inaccessible. The only way in was a winding footpath that seemed to go on forever--especially on the way BACK.

The chug down to the surf was worth it, though. I loved the break at Lowers. I was a goofy foot and the lefts there were perfect. Man, that was more than 30 years ago. I wonder if the beach is still the same. Hope so.

Left Coast Brewing Company is located in San Clemente, and I thank them for sending me on a journey down Surfing Memory Lane. I recently received a bomber of their Hop Juice Imperial IPA via beer trade. It comes with an ABV of 9.7% and was apparently brewed with a boatload of hops.

The beer poured from bomber into my shaker pint a hazy, orange/copper color. The minimal white head disappeared almost immediately and only a small ring of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was pine and citrus hops up front. Dank, resinous and a bit funky. Sweet malt in the background.

Taste gave a pretty good bitter hops zing from the get-go. A big sock of booze, too. Lots of sweet, caramel malt. Bitter, sweet, booze. That's mostly what I got.

Fairly full mouthfeel to this one. A bit syrupy. It reminded me of a barleywine. More of a tonsil coater than I prefer. Bitter hops flavor left behind on the palate.

I wanted to like Hop Juice. I just couldn't get into it. I didn't finish the bomber and Merry the Wonder Beagle didn't even raise a nostril. I'm giving this one 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment