Monday, October 7, 2013

Laurelwood Brewing Company - Pumpkin Ale

This is Halloween, this is
Halloween, this is...
Lord, I know I'm going to cause an uproar, but I have to say that pumpkin beer is probably the most over-rated and overly-hyped beer "style" ever. Actually, it isn't even really a style. Pumpkin is just an ingredient, and an unnecessary one at that. There, I said it. Nertz to all you pumpkin aficionados. I don't particularly care for most pumpkin beers.

If I want something that tastes like pumpkin pie, I'll go straight for the pumpkin pie. Why mess around with a pie-flavored beer? In any case, it is pumpkin beer "season", so I feel obligated to try and review at least one.  This year, it seemed like the brewers brought out their pumpkin products WAY early. That's gotta stop.

Okay, so now that you know exactly how I feel about beers of the gourd variety, you may judge my review as the piece of biased crap that it is right from the get go. That's only fair. 

The subject of tonight's review is Laurelwood Brewing Company's Pumpkin Ale. It boasts an ABV of 7.5% and has an appropriately scary jack-o-lantern on the label. I think this one used to be called "Stingy Jack". Not sure why the name was changed this year.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a brownish, orange/amber color. The tan head came up to about a finger thick and dissipated quickly. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was mild pumpkin pie spice and sweet malt. Cinnamon and clove. Bready. Kind of like a fresh baked cinnamon roll.

Taste followed the nose. The spice flavor was not too overwhelming, which is my big complaint with many pumpkin brews. Nice malt flavor with a slightly bitter edge. Not much of a pumpkin flavor, which was a plus for me.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Smooth finish. Not bad.

I'd drink this one again. I'm giving Laurelwood's Pumpkin Ale a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment