Saturday, October 12, 2013

Full Sail Brewing Company - LTD Series Recipe Number 06

I'll be bock.
"There's no coffee or chocolate in the Limited Edition Lager but your mouth will insist otherwise."

That's the proclamation on the label of Full Sail Brewery's LTD Series Recipe Number 06. This brew is a seasonal holiday black bock with an ABV of 7.0%. I picked up a single 12 oz. bottle at the little tienda down the street from my house this morning.

The beer poured into my glass a dark brown/amber color with a tan/mocha head. The head rose up to about a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing remained behind.

The aroma was roasted malt, coffee and cocoa. Dark, over-ripe fruit. No distinguishable hops smell that I could detect.

Taste followed the nose. Sweet roasted malt. Brown sugar, coffee and chocolate. The label did not lie. Slightly bready, yeasty. The sweetness was nicely balanced by bitter, spicy hops.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Creamy finish. I'd have a hard time telling this is lager, if I didn't know it already. Bitter hops flavor left behind on the palate.

All-in-all, this is very tasty, well-rounded, expertly crafted beer. I like it a lot and would definitely drink it again. I'm giving Recipe Number 06 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment