Sunday, September 15, 2013

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - Krystal Pear

Pear-y, pear-y good.
Feast Portland is coming this weekend. It's a big deal food festival held smack dab in the middle of downtown Portland--oh, the traffic. I'll be sticking close to home, but loads of Portlanders will be enjoying a wide array of tasty events. Literally stuffing their faces with Oregon's Bounty.

Even though I won't be going to Feast Portland, I did get to try a little sampling of what's in store for the attendees. Widmer Brothers Brewing has put out a special release brew that is the official beer of the event: Krystal Pear. It's a filtered wheat beer brewed with Oregon pears. It comes with an ABV of  5.8% I bought a bomber at Whole Foods last week for $3.99.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a clear, golden yellow color. A fizzy, bright white head rose up to about a 1/4 of an inch high and dissipated quickly. A minimal ring of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was apple and pear. Rather cider-like, both in appearance and smell. Light malt in the background. 

Taste followed the nose. Apple and pear with a mild spiciness. Very mild hops bitterness. Sweet malt. Almost like somebody mixed pear cider with a lager. Interesting. You could hand me a glass of this beer, tell me it's a cider, and I'd believe you.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Semi-dry finish with the fruit flavor left on the palate at the end.

Seems like an odd release time for this beer to me--here in mid-September. I know it was specially brewed for Feast Portland, but on a commercial basis, I think it would be better as a summer release. It's light, refreshing and would be a nice drink on a hot summer day. Of course, it has been hotter than Hades this week, so what the hell do I know? All-in-all, this beer isn't something I'd buy regularly--just not my style--but there's probably a bunch of folks out there who would like it. I'm giving Krystal Pear a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment