Sunday, September 22, 2013

Vertigo Brewing - Super Dude

...V.I. Lenin. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!
Living in metropolitan Portland, I sometimes forget that the entire state of Oregon puts out some mighty fine beer. There are hundreds of awesome breweries all over Oregon. That's kind of easy to forget when I spend 99.9% of my beer drinking time in Portland proper. Hey, I'm kind of a homebody. For recreation, I do the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback. 

Vertigo Brewing Company is located in Hillsboro, Oregon, a suburb of Portland that's about a 15 minute drive from downtown (when the traffic doesn't totally suck). Vertigo recently turned five years old and I was honored to be invited to their anniversary party. They put out a mighty amazing spread--tasty food made with many of their tasty craft beers.

Of course, I was there for the beer, and I sampled quite a few. My favorite was their Super Dude Russian Imperial Stout. This brew was aged for six months in Big Bottom Whiskey Barrels and came in with an ABV of 9.2%. It was brewed with Chinook and Columbus hops. 

The beer was presented in a pint glass and I was most impressed with the deep, dark, pitch black color. The tan head was about a 1/2 inch high and dissipated at a moderate rate. A full ring of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was big and boozy. Bourbon, vanilla and dark, over-ripe fruit. Smokey.

Taste was cocoa, coffee and ripe stone fruit. Raisin and plum. Massive bourbon flavor. Roasted malt and a noticeable hops bitterness in the mix. Interesting wine-like quality. So many flavors competing for attention. Wow. The Dude abides.

Medium to full mouthfeel with appropriately moderate carbonation. Very smooth, creamy finish. This brew really popped with flavor as it warmed up.

What a great RIS. It really tied the room together. It's a winner and I'm seriously going back for more. I'm giving Super Dude a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment