Thursday, September 19, 2013

Reverend Nat's Hard Cider - Tepache

Pina Co-pilsner
And now for something completely different...

You have to mix it up sometimes, break out of your shell, try something new. Variety is the spice of life yada-yada. Luckily, we have some very creative and innovative booze makers here in Portland, Oregon. If you are truly up for trying something new and different, you don't have to look very far in this burg.

I stopped into 1856 Bottleshop the other day (they always seem to have something new) and discovered "Tepache".

"What the heck is Tepache?" I asked.

Matt, the friendly owner and counterman, told me it is a concoction created by Reverend Nat (he's a real guy, BTW) from pineapples. I had to try it.

The stuff was pretty sweet and tasted like...pineapple, for sure. Matt advised me that many people enjoy Tepache mixed with a pilsner. Kind of like a tropical shandy. Hey, sounded good to me.

I'm not going to do the whole typical tasting rundown here. Suffice it to say that the sweet, lightly carbonated Tepache complimented the crisp, malty, lightly hopped pilsner perfectly. Delicious.

I was advised that this particular batch of Tepache came in with a low ABV of 3.2%. 

A growler of Tepache would be quite fun to share and play around with at a bottle share or a weekend BBQ. Probably more of a summer drink, but who's keeping track of the seasons here in Stumptown? Everybody, but that's beside the point. Tepache is tasty and you should try it.

Is it a cider? A beer?  A wine? Beats me, but it has alcohol in it. I should have gotten more information about how it's made, but I'm a drinker, not a tinker. It's on tap right now at 1856. Go get some. I'm giving Tepache a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4--one of those cans is simply for having the huevos to do something out of the box. Bravo, Reverend Nat!


No comments:

Post a Comment