Sunday, September 29, 2013

Kona Brewing Company - Longboard Island Lager

Liquid Aloha.
I made a batch of chili today. It's wet and rainy in Portland, Oregon. Well, it's typically wet and rainy in Portland, but it's been stormy as heck this weekend. Lots of downed trees and power lines. Traffic snarls and transit delays. I decided it would be more fun to stay inside--with a big pot of homemade chili.

Beer is a prime ingredient in my chili. Of course it is. My recipe calls for a lager. The beer needs to compliment the flavor of the chili, not overpower it. The beer I selected to go into my stew is Kona Brewing Company's Longboard Island Lager. It came in a 24 oz. can, which was just enough for the recipe AND to go into a glass for me.

The beer poured into my glass a clear, golden yellow color with a bright white head. The head rose up to about a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated quickly. Little to no lacing was left behind.

Aroma was sweet malt and grain. Not at all corny like a macro-lager. Lemony hops and a bready, yeasty smell in the background.

Taste was malty, bready and pleasantly spicy. Cereal grain. Lemony. Just a tinge of hops bitterness.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Finish was semi-dry. Malt was the predominant flavor left on the palate at the end.

All-in-all, this is a tasty, premium lager. I liked it. Very crisp, clean and refreshing with just enough flavor and body to make it a keeper. It worked quite well in my chili recipe, too! I'm giving Longboard Island Lager a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

1 comment:

  1. Good. Not only is it easier to catch the wave on a longboard, but the extra length makes it easier to pop up to your feet i.e. bigger margin for error. When popping up on a shortboard, you have less room for your legs, so you really need to get your feet further up underneath you- very hard if your hip and abdominal muscles are weak or you have a big belly (like me) getting in the way!

    ReplyDelete