Friday, September 27, 2013

Green Flash Brewing Company - Barleywine

Barley rhymes with GNARLY
Some San Diego brews have been making their way up to Portland. I've seen some from Ballast Point Brewing recently and today there were two offerings from Green Flash Brewing Company in the cold case at my local Freddie's. (That's Fred Meyer, for those of you uninitiated into things PNW.)

I paid $5.17 for a bomber of Green Flash's Barleywine Style Ale. That's a little pricey. Certainly not a bargain. It is a premium craft beer, so I'm not complaining about the price. I've certainly forked over a lot more for a beer in my day. I'm just saying you can expect to pay a little extra scratch for beer that's been "imported" from south of the (Oregon) border.

Barleywine poured into my tulip snifter a brownish orange color with a clumpy, tan head. The head was about a inch high and disspated slowly. A significant amount of sudsy lacing persisted throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was predominantly brown sugar and booze. This brew comes with an ABV of 10.9% and that's obvious as soon as you stick your nostrils over the rim of the glass. Bam! Carmel and burnt toffee. Malt and dark, over-ripe fruit.

Taste started out with sweet malt that was followed up with a nice, bitter hops pucker. Some citrus mixed with ripe cherries and plum. Caramel and toffee. Fruit flavor livened up as the beer warmed.

Medium to full mouthfeel. Some sticky, chewiness to it. Aftertaste was big on booze. Not a terrible alcohol sting, but you can tell it's in there. There was a bit of warming sock to the stuff right at the end. Like drinking a glass of port or sherry.

This brew wasn't the best barleywine I've ever had. Not very big on complexity, this one. Still, it's better than a punch in the nose. I'm giving Green Flash Brewing Company's Barleywine a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment