Saturday, September 7, 2013

Fort George Brewery - Vortex IPA

A whirlpool of tasty.
Seriously? Seriously? I've never done a review of Fort George Brewery's Vortex IPA? How the hell did that happen? I love this beer! There's almost always a can of it in my fridge. I just poured one as a chaser for the 101 proof whiskey I was having for lunch. (Yes, whiskey for lunch. Don't judge me, and don't try this at home. I'm a professional.)

The beer poured into my Ball jar a hazy, golden orange color with a bright, white head. The head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A solid ring and a good amount of webby lacing was left behind all over the glass.

Aroma was pine, citrus and floral hops. Lots of citrus. Grapefruit and lemon. Sweet malt in the background with a healthy dose of tropical and stone fruit in there, too. Pineapple and peach.

Taste followed the nose. Sweet peaches and orange with a good amount of bitterness to keep the flavor from being too cloying. Great sweet, earthy malt taste. Excellent malt and hops balance. The flavors kept vying for attention. As I said, I used this brew for a chaser for a big shot of 101 proof whiskey. It did the job quite nicely.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Just a little bit of stickiness to it. Creamy finish with a really nice bitter zing left behind on the palate right at the end. 

This IPA is virtually flawless, in my humble opinion. It is a go-to NW IPA and it comes in pint-sized cans for ease of carry and storage. Awesome. I'm giving Vortex a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle was all over me as soon as I popped the can open.


No comments:

Post a Comment