Monday, September 2, 2013

Fort George Brewery - OmegaTex IIIPA

There are alphas in this omega...
I haven't posted a beer review in, like, forever. We've had a house full of awesome visitors and I've been extremely busy taking them on Oregon beer adventures.

Yesterday, we took a little trip to Astoria, Oregon. After our pilgrimage to the Goonies House, we went in search of beer. We ended the day at my favorite Astoria brew pub, Fort George. If you're looking for the quintessential Northwest  beer experience, it's hard to go wrong with a visit to Fort George Brewery, I'm just saying.

I had quite a few Fort George beers yesterday, but the one I enjoyed the most, and the subject of this review, is their OmegaTex Triple IPA.

The beer was presented in a 12 oz. snifter. It was a cloudy, orange/amber color with an off-white head. The head was about a 1/4 inch high and dissipated at a moderate rate. Spotty lacing remained across the top.

Aroma was pine and citrus hops right up front (grapefruit and orange) with a solid caramel malt smell in the background. Some tropical fruit in the mix as well.

Taste follows the nose. Big, bitter, banging hops and an awesome, sweet, earthy malt flavor hanging right in there. This is one of the best balanced IIPA's I've ever tasted. The tastes just kept bouncing back and forth across the palate and the complexity continued to build as the beer warmed up. It was a delicious sipping experience. The bitter sting to the taste buds was perfecto.

Slightly full mouthfeel. It has some stickiness to it. Creamy finish that ends with that tasty malt flavor.

I love this beer. It's awesome. I wish it came in cans. It would have a permanent place in my fridge. I'm giving OmegaTex a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment