Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Elysian Brewing Company - Dragonstooth Stout

Insert beer-related quip here...
It's hot here in Portland! It got up to 93 and it's still hotter than heck at 8:35 PM. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's been way hotter everywhere else in the country lately, but we ain't got no air conditioner here at Casa de Wolfgang. Thank gawd I have beer in the fridge...

What? I don't have any beer in the fridge! Okay, I do have several bottles of that stuff somebody brought over for our last house party... meh. Now, I don't want to sound like an ingrate--please feel free to bring beer over to my house ANYTIME--but some beers are meant for drinking and others are meant for...killing banana slugs. I'm just sayin'.

My lack of appropriate fine craft beer resulted in taking the Wonder Beagle for a walk in the general vicinity of New Seasons, where I found a bomber of Elysian Brewing Company's Dragonstooth Stout on sale for $3.99. Not the most awesome price, but cheap by New Seasons standards.

The beer poured into my pint glass a deep, solid black color with a massive, foamy, creamy, mocha colored head.  Wow! That head was impressive and lasted a long, long time. When it finally dissipated, a solid cap of suds remained from rim to rim. Lots of webby lace was left behind all over the glass.

Aroma was sweet roasted malt and cocoa. Dark, over-ripe fruit. Fig and plum. A tiny bit of booze, vanilla and coffee in the background.

Taste was smokey, smooth dark chocolate and coffee. Nice, smooth bitterness sneaked up on my taste buds and said HELLO! Delicious.

Medium to full mouthfeel with an appropriate level of carbonation. Creamy finish with a bit of an oily slickness left on the palate with an awesome smokey, mildly bitter aftertaste.

I love this stout. I bet it would be awesome barrel-aged. As it is, it's a very easy drinker. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Dragonstooth Stout earns a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment