Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Deschutes Brewery - Black Butte Porter

It's a butte.
It's my birthday, so my lovely wife took me out for dinner to the Thai place down the street. Ah, what an awesome Portland neighborhood I live in. You should be jealous. Really, really jealous.

I got myself a blazing hot plate of Pad Kee Mao. Yum--that's an expression of gastronomic delight, not another Thai dish. Of course, I needed a nice, cold beer to wash those Thai chiles down. The restaurant didn't have very many beers on the menu--at least not many I'd drink--but they did have Deschutes Brewery's Black Butte Porter. That's a winner, right there. Score!

In my opinion, Black Butte is the standard bearer for American Porters. I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. ABV comes in at 5.2% for this brew and the one I had tonight was delivered to my table in a 12 oz. bottle. The shaker pint was chilled. Ehhh, not so good to pour a porter into a frozen glass. Oh, well, you can't have everything.

The beer poured into the frosty glass a deep, dark brown--almost black--color. The tan head rose up to almost an inch tall and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was dark roasted malt up front. Great malt smell. Chocolate, toffee and molasses. Over-ripe dark fruit. No noticeable hops aroma that I could detect.

Taste was mildly bitter coffee and cocoa. Smooth, well-rounded malt flavor. Hints of licorice and raisin. 

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation for a porter. Smooth, creamy finish with just the right amount of bitter chocolate aftertaste.

I've already let it slip that I'm a big fan of this beer. I've socked down many of them over the years. I'm giving Black Butte Porter a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment