Sunday, September 15, 2013

Block 15 Brewing Company - Sticky Hands Centennial X Mosaic

Sticky, not at all icky.
DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMN! Every once in a while I stumble across a brew--purely by happenstance--that completely knocks my socks off. Block 15 Brewing Company's Sticky Hands Centennial X Mosaic is just such a brew. There's a motto in very fine print on the label: so hoppy your tongue will slap your face. Yup, that just about sums it up.

I ran across this beer at a bottle share event on Saturday. It was absolutely my favorite out of the dozens of beers shared. I loved it so much, I had to pick up a bottle for myself. I was planning on saving it for a later, more celebratory date--like my birthday on Tuesday--but having zero self-control, I opened the 750 ml bottle tonight.

This double IPA is brewed with Centennial and Mosaic hops and comes with an ABV of 8.25%. It poured into my goblet a slightly hazy amber/orange color with a creamy, white head. The head rose up to about a half inch thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A solid ring with some spotty, webby lacing was left behind.

Aroma was big on citrus hops, which you'd fully expect. Orange, grapefruit, lemon. Sweet malt and a massive sock of tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, passion fruit. Wow. There was so much going on in the nose, I almost didn't want to drink it. I just wanted to savor the amazing complexity of aromas forever.

Taste was as good as the smell. Nice bitter sock of pine and citrus hops. Juicy and delicious. Just the right amount of tangy hops, tropical fruit, tasty citrus and funk. It's an amazing brew.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Creamy finish that left a lot of flavor rolling around on the palate. That bitter sting to the taste buds at the end left the perfect, final punctuation mark.

This beer is a hophead's delight, for sure. I love it. Fantastic, awesome beer and I'm giving this version of Sticky Hands a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. Unfortunately, the Wonder Beagle was snoozing when I uncapped this beauty, otherwise, I bet it would earn a Droolie as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment