Monday, September 9, 2013

Block 15 Brewing Company - Cuvee Rouge

Sour power!
I stopped in at 1856 bottle shop to help them celebrate their 1st Anniversary on Sunday. Okay, I stopped in to help myself to some tasty beer, but I wished the guys a very happy anniversary. Hey, that's how I give my support--by gettin' my drank on. Some people give cards and gifts, I give many, many sincere, heartfelt toasts.

One thing I love about 1856 is that they always have something unique and special on their tap list. One of the rare brews they had up for offering on Sunday was Block 15 Brewing Company's Cuvee Rouge. It's a sour red ale aged in brandy barrels. ABV reported at 8.5%.

The beer was presented to me in a stemmed tulip glass. It was a brownish red color with a beautiful ruby hue shining through when held up to the light. A minimal, purplish head dissipated quickly and left a thin cap of spotty lace behind.

Aroma was acidic and boozy. Lots of fruit in the nose. Grapes and over-ripe cherries. Mild yeastiness in the background.

Taste was a big sock of tart right up front. Sour cherries and sweet grape. Very wine-like flavor. Nice complexity in the taste as the beer warmed up. Booze. Oak.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Dry finish with a sour pucker lingering at the end. The booze is evident but not over-powering.

I like this brew. It's a fun sipping. I'm giving Cuvee Rouge a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment