Sunday, August 4, 2013

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - Hefe

This beer is boss.
Wednesday is garbage day in my NE Portland neighborhood. As you might imagine, my glass recycling bin is always overflowing. Always. The trashpicker guy who roams the streets on garbage day religiously makes a beeline for my bin and I must be one of his best "customers". There must be at least $2 worth of recyclers in that little blue tub. Hey, just doing my part to support the local economy.

Seriously though, we Portlanders are lucky to be able to support our local economy in the most delicious way--buying local beer. Portland has been a leader in the craft beer revolution since day numero uno. We have more breweries than any other city in the world, and that beer is exceptionally awesome. I could drink nothing but Portland beer for the rest of my life and be perfectly satisfied. Of course, I like to consider myself to be worldly kind of guy, so I do quite a bit of beer-exploration outside the confines of Portland city limits.

I didn't have to go very far to find the beer I'm reviewing today. It's brewed right here in Stumptown. Widmer Brothers Brewing Company is a pioneer Portland craft brewer. You can find their brewery on N Russell Street and you can often SMELL them brewing up a storm as you cross the Fremont Bridge. I love the smell of hops in the morning!

Today's brew is Widmer's Hefeweizen. Hefe poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my pilsner glass a hazy, golden yellow color. The minimal white head rose up to about a 1/2 inch high and dissipated quickly. A very thin, spotty cap of lace was left behind.

Aroma was lemon citrus and sweet grainy malt. Mild floral, spicy notes in the background.

Taste was crisp, clean and refreshing lemon and orange. Mild hops bitterness and a pleasant biscuity malt flavor. Very good hops/malt balance to this one.

Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. A bit of a creamy finish to it. Delicious malt flavor left on the palate at the end. No alcohol bite detected in this 4.9% ABV brew.

Another great brew from Widmer. A cooler full of these on the deck would sufficiently motivate me to get to all of the "honey-do" yardwork chores my wife has planned for me today. Perfect for what it is supposed to be--an easy drinking, sessionable, thirst-quencher. I'm giving Hefe a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment