Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Southern Oregon Brewing Company - Na Zdravi Czech Style Pilsner

Czech out this pilsner...
Wow, it's starting to get to the point where I've tried almost every beer in the supermarket cold case. (Somebody has an OBSESSION!) Tonight I found myself perusing the bombers at QFC and I was having a hard time picking out a new brew to review. I'd either tasted 'em before, or they didn't interest me.

It was a scorcher in Portland today. Probably got up to about 90, which is wicked warm when you don't have an air conditioner. I wanted a beer that would cool me off and quench my thirst. No tonsil-coater tonight--no way. 

After standing there indecisively for about 15 minutes, my wife finally gave up on me and headed for the checkstand. Pressure! Way at end of the shelf, I spotted Na Zdravi Czech Style Pilsner from Southern Oregon Brewing Company. I had my beer. It comes with an ABV of 4.8% and the bomber set me back four bucks.

The beer poured into my pilsner glass a clear, golden yellow color with a bright, bubbly, white head. The head came up to about a finger thick and dissipated quickly. A thin, spotty cap of lacing remained behind.

Aroma was sweet, bready malt. Mild citrus and herbal hops.

Taste was flavorful biscuity malt with light lemony notes. A pleasant herbal, spicy kick in the aftertaste. Very crisp and clean. What a pilsner should taste like.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. There was a very subtle creamy finish to this brew. Nice malt flavor left on the palate at the very end.

Na Zdravi is and easy drink with a memorable character. I like it. Merry the Wonder Beagle liked the smell of it, too. I'm giving this beer a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment