Friday, August 16, 2013

Heater Allen Brewing Company - Pils

Good things come in
plain packages.
I was at the Goodwill today searching for glassware and I came across a totally bitchin', very unique pilsner glass. It had a very different shape and a solid, heavy foot. Best of all, it cost 99 cents.

I buy all of my barware at thrift stores. Seriously, you're a spend-crazy knucklehead if you buy glasses anywhere else. First, glass doesn't wear out. Well, when it does wear out, it's broken and totally destroyed. Otherwise, it's going to be in pretty much the same shape it was in when some schlub bought it new. So...why would you buy it new?

In any case, I couldn't wait to try out my "new" pilsner glass, so I went to the store to buy a pilsner. What I came home with was Heater Allen Brewing Company's Pils. Nothing fancy about the label on this one. I was able to discern that the stuff is brewed in McMinnville, Oregon. No ABV given.

The beer poured from bomber into my awesome new glass a slightly hazy light golden yellow color. The bright white head was a sight to behold. It rose up to almost two fingers thick and was amazingly persistent. Frothy, sudsy lacing stuck around throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was grainy, biscuity malt and crisp citrus hops. A pleasant herbal spiciness with a grassy quality lingered in the background.

Taste was lemony citrus with a bigger bitter hops character than the aroma belied. Solid malt flavor provided a great balance against the hops. 

Medium mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. That head came roaring back to life whenever I refreshed my glass. Dry finish with the bitter hops leaving lemon and herbal notes behind.

I like this beer and it did a great honor to my special new glass. I'm giving Heater Allen Pils a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment