Sunday, August 18, 2013

Heater Allen Brewing Company - Isar Weizen

Like a glass of sunshine.
I've been knocking back quite a few lagers lately. I seem to be going through a phase. Don't get me wrong, I still loves me my craft ales, but I think I'm starting to grow as a beer drinker.

Over the years, I've avoided lagers like the plague because of the mega-brewery attachment to the brewing style. Of course, a craft lager isn't going to have the nasty, budget-stretching adjuncts and additives that you'll find in BudMillerCoorsEtAl. At least, you'd hope not.

I recently discovered Heater Allen Brewing Company from McMinnville, OR. These folks make some mighty fine lagers. Excellent stuff and I'm looking forward to trying everything they brew. Today, it's Isar Weizen, their Bavarian Style Wheat Beer. No ABV given on the label that I could find. I'm guessing at about 5%.

The beer poured from bomber into my pilsner glass a hazy, golden amber color. (Interesting.) The white head was more than a finger thick and was quite creamy, clumpy and luscious looking. The head was very resilient and left a good amount of webby lace behind.

Aroma reminded me of baking spices. Nutmeg, clove and cinnamon. Bready smell...banana bread.

Taste followed the nose. Baking spices with a bit of a peppery quality. Sweet, earthy malt. Loads of flavor. The stuff is delicious.

Medium mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. Slightly creamy finish.

Another memorable lager that I will definitely buy again. I'm giving Isar Weizen a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment