Thursday, August 8, 2013

Caldera Brewing Company - Caldera Pale Ale

A pot of gold.
What's great about Thursday? It's not Monday. What's not so great about Thursday? It's not Friday. I'm looking forward to this upcoming weekend for sure--even if the weather refuses to cooperate. 

The forecast calls for a "chance of storm" on both Friday and Saturday, but that shouldn't prevent me from crawling atop a barstool and drinking my fill of tasty, tasty beer. Even if I opt not to go outside, my fridge is fully stocked. I'm ready for anything! Of course, I'm dipping into the weekend beer stock early tonight. We'll see what kind of a dent I make in it. 

The brew of the evening is Caldera Brewing Company's Caldera Pale Ale. It comes in a 12 oz. can with an ABV of 5.5%. I previously mentioned how much I prefer beer in cans over bottles. Lighter, easier to store and more environmentally friendly, cans are the way to go.

Caldera Pale Ale poured into my shaker pint a clear, orange amber color with a big, foamy, clumpy white head.  The head rose up to more than two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Loads of lacing remained behind all over the glass.

Aroma was grapefruit and resinous pine up front. Tropical fruit--pineapple and guava. Sweet caramel malt in the mix, too.

Taste followed the nose. Mild hops bitterness. The malt flavor was present throughout the entire drink. Nice hopsd/malt balance.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Slightly creamy finish with some bitterness remaining on the palate, but the malt providing the primary aftertaste.

Good stuff. This pale has the kind of Northwest punch I like. Not too earthy. Not too fruity. I'm giving Caldera Pale Ale a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle was equally impressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment