Monday, August 12, 2013

Blue Dog Mead - Green Collar

Good doggie.
Sick with the flu--whadda ya gonna do? Sounds like a good time to catch up on my reviews. I'm only about a 100 behind. Hey, keeping a blog journal of your beer s'periences is hard work.

This review will mark the first time I've ever tried mead. My only knowledge of the stuff is that it's an ancient alcoholic drink made from honey, and that it was the drink of choice of orc hunters and dragon slayers and such. You know, back in the days when men were knights and women were damsels.

I spotted a can of Blue Dog Mead's Green Collar Sparkling Mead in the cold case at New Seasons last week. A 12 oz. can? That seemed like the perfect size for sampling the stuff, so I bought it! It comes with an ABV of 5.9%, according to the label, and it's gluten free. I suppose that's important to some folks. Me, I love my glutens.

Green Collar poured into my small tulip glass a clear yellow with a very brief white head. It looked like sparkling apple juice. Lots of bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma was apples and honey. Mild spice.

Taste followed the nose. Apple and pear. Honey and vanilla but with a pleasant tartness. Not too sweet. Some interesting herbal, yeasty qualities in the background.

Thin mouthfeel and copious carbonation. A tiny bit of a chew to the body of it, so it doesn't feel like juice.  It has some character. Dry finish. Tart apple taste left on the palate.

Hey, I like this mead! This brew reminded me of apple cider, but with a bit more complexity. Tasty and refreshing. I'm ready to go out and kick some goblin ass...as soon as I get over this flu. I'm giving Green Collar a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. I would definitely buy it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment