Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Beer Chips

Beer with your beer?
I was pushing a cart through Fred Meyer the other day, shopping for you-know-what, and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the word "Beer" on a bag of potato chips. Seriously, that's some clever marketing because, hey, how is that NOT going to catch my attention? Beer Chips? Come on! That's a no brainer.

Beer Chips were on sale: three for $5.00. Deal. They also had Barbecue Rib and Buffalo Wing flavors. Of course, I bought those, too, but I was mainly interested in the Beer Chips.

The chips were fairly thick and had a pretty good crunch to them. They weren't too greasy.

I'm assuming the beer flavor comes to the chips by way of the powdery coating that's on them. The ingredients read as follows:
Potatoes, sunflower oil and/or corn oil, sugar, beer extract (maltodextrin, beer), salt, honey granules, (refinery syrup, honey), autolyzed yeast extract
The "beer extract" is interesting. Lots of sugar on these chips, that's for sure, and they do taste very sweet. You have sugar, maltodextrin (which is basically sugar) and honey (which is basically sugar). Sugar.

I must say, there is somewhat of a beer-like flavor to these chips, but I don't think I'd recognize it if the bag didn't make such an in-your-face beer declaration. The sugary sweetness is the most pronounced taste in these chips.

What's the final call on Beer Chips? Well, I finished the whole bag, but I'm not likely to ever buy them again, even if they are on sale. I prefer a natural chip--potatoes, oil and salt. I also prefer my beer in non-extract form. I'm giving Beer Chips a BeerGuyPDX rating of 1 crushed can out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment