Monday, August 12, 2013

Bear Republic Brewing Company - Café Racer 15

The checkered flag is for delicious.
I tasted Bear Republic Brewing Company's Cafe Racer 15 a few months ago at a local taproom. I remember being quite impressed. So, when I saw a bomber of this brew in the Fred Meyer cold case this afternoon, I snapped it up ASAP. I went running greedily to the checkstand with my prize. I didn't even bother to check the price.

Unfortunately, I always pick the slowest checkout line at the store. ALWAYS. The young lady LOOKED fast and efficient when I first approached. Sadly, she was determined to tell the customer ahead of me all about her pet turtle (an omen, right there) and her entire school schedule for next year. Arrrrrgh! Didn't she know my beer was getting warm?

Finally, it was my turn to checkout. The chatty young miss tried to scan my beer. "PRICE NOT FOUND". Arrrrrgh! She had to summon a price check. The fellow who was charged with jogging back to the cold case to get the price was even slower than the checker. Sigh.

Needless to say, Cafe Racer 15 had to be chilled a bit at home before I opened it. When I did get that cap popped off, it poured into my shaker pint a hazy, orange amber color with a frothy white head. The head rose up to about a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated at a moderate rate. A good amount of sudsy lacing was left behind.

Aroma was citrus and pine. A healthy dose of tropical fruit also filled the nose: pineapple, guava and mango. Sweet malt in the background.

Taste was a big punch of citrus flavor with a great big sock of hops bitterness right up front. Grapefruit and orange. Loads of tropical fruit juiciness. Herbal and pine spiciness. The pleasant malt taste wasn't overpowered.

Medium to full mouthfeel. There was a bigger body to this one, for sure. Somewhat of a creamy finish, but the 9.75% ABV was pretty obvious right at the end. Still, the booze didn't detract from all of the delicious flavors left rolling around on the palate.

There is very little fault to be found with this awesome IIPA. It's a great brew. This is also one of those rare beers that Merry the Wonder Beagle was able to smell through the uncapped bottle. I'm giving Cafe Racer 15 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. It's a keeper.


No comments:

Post a Comment