Saturday, August 24, 2013

21st Amendment Brewery - Hell or High Watermelon

I assume it's seedless...
We had a big bash at my house last night. My wife, who is an awesome cook, was joined by several friends who have equal culinary skills. It was a South Indian feast to die for: saag paneer, subji, kachoris, coconut AND tamarind chutneys, cucumber raitu, chicken tikka--are you jealous yet? You should be.

The only thing I was in charge of was getting the beer on the way home. Now, I know what I like when it comes to the suds, but it's an entirely different thing when you are trying to come up with a good mix of styles that all of your guests will enjoy. I picked up some premium brews and some...not so premium. Fine craft beer isn't for everyone. In fact, outside the group of hardcore beer geeks I usually imbibe with, most people have rather anemic beer tastes. Thus, a twelve pack of a nameless lager ended up in my cooler.

One of the other beers I brought home primarily for my guests was 21st Amendment Brewery's Hell or High Watermelon. It's a wheat beer with an ABV of 4.9% and it's brewed with watermelon. Truthfully, I thought some of the ladies might like it. I bought a six pack and was surprised to find that five remained behind in the cooler this AM...and I drank the sixth. Maybe it was the thought of a watermelon flavored beer that failed to excite anybody, or perhaps no one wanted to dig that far down into the ice to get one. Beats me, but I figured I might as well review the stuff. It was still cold.

Hell or High Watermelon poured into my glass a cloudy, pale yellow color with a foamy, white head. The head dissipated quickly and no lacing was left behind, except a very minimal ring. A massive formation of pinpoint bubbles rose continuously from the bottom of the glass, however.

There was a pronounced watermelon smell to this beer. A little bit of cucumber and a touch of lemon.

Taste followed the nose to the letter. Not much malt flavor that I could pull out with my weak taste buds.

Thin mouthfeel with lots carbonation. A bit of a watery finish.

Not really my kind of a beer and pretty much what I was expecting. If it had more of a bitter kick to it or something, I'd probably like it more. As it is, I'm giving Hell or High Watermelon a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment