Sunday, August 11, 2013

10 Barrel Brewing Company - Hop Project #2 IPA

I'm going #2.
10 Barrel Brewing apparently put out some special project beers in a 12 pack. That's a lot of expense for me to put into a bunch of beers I've never tried. I mean, not like I wouldn't drink them anyway, but you know, I'm a cheapskate. Always looking for a deal. 

Gratefully, the good folks at Hank's Thriftway, in the Portland suburb of Hillsboro, decided to bust up the packs and sell the batch beers separately. FYI: Hank's may look like your typical, low budget, indie supermarket from the outside, but they have one helluva craft beer selection! Seriously, Hank's knows beer and you can find awesome deals there--like this one. $1.50 for this 12 oz. bottle.

10 Barrel Brewing's plain jane labels are pretty cool, in my opinion, especially the one's in this group. Everything you could possible want to know about the beer is right there on the front of the bottle. The beer I'm reviewing today a the #2. It's an IPA with an ABV of 6.9% and IBU's of 74. It was brewed with Bravo and Cascade hops in the kettle and dry-hopped with Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo. Good to know!

The beer poured from bottle into my shaker pint a clear, golden orange color with a bright white head. The head rose up to about a finger thick and dissipated slowly. A thin web of lacing was left behind on the glass.

Aroma was what I would expect from my favorite hops. Citrus and mild pine up front. Light tropical fruit in the background.

Taste followed the nose exactly. Grapefruit, orange, tangerine. Hints of pineapple. A pleasant, underlying herbal spiciness. Clean, biscuity malt flavor, too.

Medium mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. A bit of a dry finish with mild hops bitterness and solid malt taste left on the palate. 

Good stuff. I really, really like it. I would go #2 anytime. Wish they sold this brew in bombers or sixers. I'm giving #2 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle was really digging the smell.


No comments:

Post a Comment