Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wandering Aengus Ciderworks - Anthem Pear

Guessing it's made from pears...
Cider is pretty easy to make. Probably easier to make than beer, actually, but it's damn labor intensive and requires quite a lot of working space. I don't have a garage or a suitably large area to juice fruit by hand. Here's a pretty good Instructables article that breaks the whole process down, in case you're interested in how it's done.

I have made cider from apples run through my juice machine. That worked okay, but I had to use a couple of boxes of apples we picked out at Hood River just to make a gallon jug of the stuff. It took forever and that kind of repetition drives me crazy. Not to mention the picking. Much easier to just pick up a bottle of cider at the market. I'm just sayin'.

I did pick up a bottle of Anthem Pear at the store the other day. It's pear cider, duh, and it comes with an ABV of 6.2%.

The cider poured from bomber into my glass a clear, golden yellow color. There was no head to speak of and gentle bubbles of carbonation rose up in streams from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma was sweet pear and apple. Slight yeasty smell in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Pear and tart apple. Tiny bit of yeasty funk and a touch of alcohol.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Dry finish with a tart, acrid fruit flavor left on the palate.

Not bad. This stuff sure went down easy last night when it was 81 degrees on my couch at 10:PM. Crisp and refreshing with just enough bang to remind you that you're not sipping on a juicebox. I'm giving Anthem Pear a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.





No comments:

Post a Comment