Thursday, July 4, 2013

Vertigo Brewing - Friar Gone Wild IIPA

Gone wild, but not topless...
My good friend Greg suggested taking a trip over to the Vertigo Brewing taproom yesterday after work. It turns out the place is almost within walking distance from my office. Why had I not checked it out before? 

The tasting room is situated in an industrial park right next to the actual brewery. You enter the large, open space through a giant garage door. The taps and a small bar are found in the back of the room. The rest of the area is filled with a number of picnic tables. There are a few tables outside, too. Nothing fancy here, it's a working brewery and the vibe is appropriately blue collar.

Lots of folks were wandering in just to get growler fills--prepping for their 4th of July BBQ's, no doubt. We saddled up to the bar and had a few. My favorite was the Friar Gone Wild Imperial IPA. The taplist reported an ABV of 9.0%--the heaviest hitter on tap, I believe.

The beer was served in a 12 oz glass and was a slightly hazy, orange/amber color. The white head was almost an inch high and looked quite creamy and clumpy.

Aroma was citrus and herbal hops with just a tinge of a funky pot smell. Too me, that's a good thing--a hint of some hoppy goodness about to hit the palate.

Taste was lots citrus and pine. Orange and grapefruit. Yes, a nice bitter zing to the stuff. Sweet caramel malt in the background and a pleasant, mild skunk bite in the finish. Lots of flavor info for those taste buds to process.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation. Just a bit of a chew to it. The slightest amount of an alcohol taste there at the end.

Lots of character to this IIPA but it's a surprisingly easy drinker. I really like it but it is not a beginner's IIPA. If I saw it on tap anywhere, I'd order a glass ASAP. I'm giving Friar Gone Wild a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment