Sunday, July 28, 2013

Uinta Brewing Company - Baba Black Lager

Baba, not wawa
I picked up a couple of loose brews to drink in my hotel room while attending UFC on FOX 8 in Seattle this weekend. Hey, I don't want you to think I spent a lot of time drinking all alone in faraway hotel rooms... in my baggy, old man chonies. Ah, that's probably TMI. Sorry.

Anyway, I had to chill my lonely beers in an ice bucket--no fridge in our expensive room. Now that I'm on the subject, don't ever stay at the Westin in Downtown Seattle. First, the elevators need some serious renovation--SLOOOOOOW! Second, they charge $40 a night for parking--RIP OFF! Third, the only fridge in the room is the expensive mini-fridge that doesn't allow you to chill your own beverages--STUPID! Fourth, well, let's just say that the showerhead was--FREAKY!

I realize these complaints belong in a Yelp review, instead of my lil' ol' beer blog. I'm just sayin' that there's some serious price-gouging shenanigans going on in the Emerald City. Sorry again, back to the beer...

One of the cans I picked up for late night hotel room consumption was Uinta Brewing Company's Baba Black Lager. It boasts a lightweight ABV of 4% and the 12 oz. can set me back two bucks.

The beer poured into my hotel room plastic water cup a dark, coffee-like black color with a creamy, clumpy mocha tan head. The head rose up to a finger thick and dissipated slowly, with very good retention.

Aroma was big on roasted malt but not much else. Perhaps a hint of brown sugar and molasses in the background.

Taste was mild cocoa and toffee up front. There was a nutty character and some smokey malt flavor. Mild bitterness.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Just a bit of a watery finish, but nothing too problematic. Hops bitterness left on the palate at the very end.

This is a highly sessionable, easy drinking beer. Lots of bang for the buck and much better than some other black lagers I've tried. I like it. I'm giving Baba a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment