Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH - Stiegl Goldbräu Lager

I tried to do a little research on this Austrian beer. Apparently, "stiegl" means "stairs" in German. Which makes the graphic design on the can more understandable, as well as this TV ad. I snatched a can out of the cold case at my random neighborhood supermarket. I had a bit of difficulty determining the exact name of the beer. "Goldbrau" was printed innocuously on the back of the can, so I think that's the formal name of the stuff.

The beer poured from can into pilsner glass a bright, golden yellow color. The white head came up at about a 1/2 inch and disappeared quickly. A moderate ring and thin cap of lacing was left behind and remained throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was sweet malt and grassy hops. Somewhat fruity smell in the background. Grape juice and light citrus.

Taste was bready, yeasty malt up front with an appreciable hops bitterness following it up. Honey and caramel sweetness at the end.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. A bit of a watery finish. Zero alcohol taste in this 4.9% ABV brew.

All in all, this is a fairly decent beer. If I saw a can in the BBQ cooler, I'd pull it out with no hesitation. I'm giving Stiegl Goldbrau a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment