Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Oskar Blues Brewery - Mama's Little Yella Pils

Runnin' for the shelter...
I'm on a pilsner roll! Tonight's review subject is a "Rocky Mountain Pilsner" from Oskar Blues Brewery named Mama's Little Yella Pils. That's an interesting name. Throwback to the Stones, ya know. (Pssst, it's a '60's drug reference.) Here's the link for all you younguns.

My mother's "little helper" wasn't a pill or a beer. It was me...with a bucket full of rags and a bottle of Windex. She was a firm believer in keeping idle hands busy, and lazy butts whipped. Ah, I'm getting a mental picture of mom and pops in their matching Laz-E-Boys, barking out orders and squabbling over the "clicker". (That's an old school '70's TV remote.)

Yella Pils came in a tall "stovepipe" can. Slightly more than a pint. It poured into my glass a slightly hazy, pale, golden yellow color. Not much of a head on this one. It came up to about a 1/2 inch with some coaxing and quickly dissipated. A thin cap of lacing remained.

Aroma was grassy hops, with sweet malt and cereal grains.

Taste was mildly bitter hops with a hint of lemon zest. Bready malt flavor in the background.

Thin mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finish was dry with a slightly metallic aftertaste. No noticeable alcohol taste in this 5.3% ABV beer.

There's just a bit of a harsh edge to this pilsner that I don't really care for too much. Admittedly, that's just my taste. Nobody likes 'em all. I'm giving Mama's Little Yella Pils a BeerGuyPDX ratng of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment