Friday, July 12, 2013

Ninkasi Brewing Company - Sterling Pils

Silver lining.
Another beautiful, warm day in Portland. I had my laptop fired up on the kitchen table, working on that novel I'm trying to finish. Oh, who am I kidding, I was farting around on Facebook and looking at Grumpy Cat memes.

I was too lazy to fix lunch and my wife was busy babysitting. What to do? What to do? Well, there was a Chevy Cobalt sitting outside with an 1/8 of a tank of gas...

I found myself at Killer Burger. They serve up some of the best burgers in Portland, in my opinion. Hey, every burger includes bacon. That's all you need to know. Okay, you also need to know that they typically have a number of tasty, local craft beers on tap. Mmmmm, burgers and beer. Come on, we all know that's what Eve REALLY tempted Adam with. An apple? Pfft!

I ordered my burger, a Black Molly, and a beer to sip while I waited for that cooked-to-order masterpiece. In keeping with my current Pilsner binge, I got a Sterling Pils from Ninkasi Brewing Company.

The beer was presented in a shaker pint and had a clear, golden yellow hue. The bright white head was a full finger thick and dissipated slowly. Loads of webby lacing was left all over the glass.

Aroma was grassy hops and lemon zest. Biscuity malt in the background with some faint herbal and floral notes.

Taste was grassy and citrus hops with mild bitterness. Earthy, biscuit malt flavor provided a great balance. Crisp and refreshing.

Medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Somewhat of a creamy finish with the hops being the major player in the aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very drinkable beer. Crisp, clean and easy to chug. No noticeable alcohol bite with this 4.9% ABV brew. I like. I'm giving Sterling Pils a solid BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment