Thursday, July 4, 2013

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company - Summer Shandy

Hey, you got beer in my lemonade!
Hey, you got lemonade in my beer!
Have you ever been to a BBQ on a hot summer day and had a hard time deciding whether to drink an ice cold lemonade or a tasty, tasty beer? Yeah, me neither. I'm always going for the beer. You can take that to the bank. Nevertheless, I suppose there are people who would find the decision difficult--they're weirdos, for sure, but chances are high that they're out there. For those odd individuals, there's the Summer Shandy.

Summer Shandy, also known as a Radler or by many other names around the world, is beer mixed with a citrus flavored soda. The beer is typically a wheat, wit or pilsner.

I ordered a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy at a pub the other day. It was dang hot outside and I wanted something to quench my thirst pronto.

The beer was delivered in an English pint glass. It was a hazy, pale, straw yellow color with a fizzy, white head. The head disappeared immediately.

Aroma was lemonade and soda with a faint smell of malt in the background.

Taste was a lot more beer than I was expecting. Grain and malt underneath a big burst of lemonade.

Thin mouthfeel with a massive amount of soda fizz. Semi-dry finish with the primary taste of lemonade left on the palate at the end.

I couldn't drink this concoction every day, but when the temps reach up into the 90's, it's mighty dang refreshing. I'm giving Summer Shandy a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment