Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gasthaus-Brauerei Braustelle - Freigeist Geisterzug Spruced Traditional Gose

Boo!
I was playing a game at the supermarket cold case the other day, you know, just to entertain myself. I decided to just snatch the first beer off the shelf that caught my eye. Freigeist Geisterzug had a ghost and what appeared to be a spooky mausoleum on the label. Babelfish tells me the German to English translation is: free spirit ghost train. Oooooo! Scary! The label says the stuff has an ABV of 5.0%.  Oooooo! Not so scary!

The beer poured into my pilsner glass a hazy, straw yellow color. There was little to no head to the stuff. What head did rise up on the pour disappeared instantly.

Aroma was earthy grain, lemon zest and funky yeast. No "spruce" to the nose that I could detect.

Taste was mildly sour apple and pear. Lemon. Some coriander and clove spice way in the background. Not a lot going on, but it was an easy drinker. Again, nothing spruce-y in the flavor. I'm not sure what I was expecting. Spruce, maybe?

Thin mouthfeel with minimal carbonation. The finish was fairly dry. That sour fruit taste was the only thing left on the palate there at the end.

Meh, the bottle was way more cool than the beer. It's not a bad brew, but I doubt I'll ever buy it again. I'm giving Geisterzug a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment