Friday, July 12, 2013

Fort George Brewery (et al) - 3-Way IPA

Ménage à Tasty
Collaborations can be awesome things...or not. It all depends on who is doing the collaborating and what they are collaborating on. Remember when all those popstars collaborated on Michael Jackson's "Feed the World"? That was a pretty good thing. I was watching a program on the Military Channel the other day called "Nazi Collaborators" ...ehhhh, that was the not so good kind of collaboration. Very bad people doing very, very bad things. See, it all depends.

Gratefully, I'm dealing with the very best of collaborations today, at least in my beer-y world. The good folks at Fort George Brewing, Gigantic Brewing and Lompoc Brewing got together and collaborated on an IPA! Now, these three Oregon brewing superstars have made some damn fantastic IPA's all on their own. What possessed them to get together to create a team effort beer? I don't know, but the results speak volumes about the mastery of these great NW brewers.

I found 3-Way IPA on tap at 1856, a friendly little wine and beer shop in my NE Portland neighborhood. It comes in with a 6.69% ABV and from my understanding it's brewed with a lager yeast and a boatload of hops. 

The beer was poured from the tap into a shaker pint and was presented before me with the most beautiful, foamy, creamy head. That's a picture of the actual beer up there. Ain't it pretty? I almost didn't want to drink it...almost. The color was a hazy, golden orange. The head dissipated slowly and left a good amount of lacing behind--on the glass and in my 'stache.

Aroma was big on citrus. Grapefruit and orange. Lots of sweet tropical fruit smells in there, too, and a nice, clean malt aroma in the background.

Taste followed the nose. A good bitter hops sock to the stuff, but it was very smooth. Grapefruit and orange. Caramel malt. Mango and guava. Mild, herbal spiciness. Quite a hops showcase, this one.

Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a chew to it. Good carbonation. Smooth, creamy finish.

3-Way is an easy drinking IPA that still manages to deliver some lip-smackin' flavor. It's outstanding. I understand they're going to be canning this brew under the Fort George label as a seasonal release. I will be buying a truckload of it. Good stuff. I'm also interested to see what the Wonder Beagle's nose has to say about it when I get some home. In the meantime, I'm giving 3-Way a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment