Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Caldera Brewing Company - Lawnmower Lager

Get your mower runnin'.
Man, I hate mowing my lawn. I have a crappy little push mower that barely gets the job done. It leaves the grass looking like a 1970's avocado green shag carpet--which hipsters probably think is cool--which may explain why I have to pick empty PBR tallboys off my lawn every morning.

Truthfully, people with perfectly manicured lawns are looked at with a certain degree contempt and suspicion here in Stumptown. A weed-free, ultra-green lawn means you're a herbicide-slinging, water-wasting weirdo around these parts.

The brew review for this evening is Lawnmower Lager from Caldera Brewing Company. (Whew, that segue was a stretch. I think I pulled a hammie on that one. Sorry about that.) This beer is pretty easy to mow down, with an ABV of 3.90%. (Okay, I'll stop with that one.)

The beer poured from bomber into pilsner glass a clear, pale gold color. Copious streams of pinpoint bubbles rose up steadily from the bottom of the glass. The bubbly white head reached about a 1/2 of inch before it disappeared completely. Very little lace was left behind.

Aroma was grain and sweet malt with just a hint of lemon in the background.

Taste was just what the nose foretold: cereal grain, sweet, bready malt, and light, lemony citrus.

Thin mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Crisp and clean. Finish had a bit of a watery quality, leaving the light, citrus bitterness behind at the end.

Not a particularly memorable brew, but I certainly wouldn't turn one down after an afternoon of summer lawn mowing. It's very sessionable and an easy, easy drink. I'm giving Lawnmower Lager a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 3.




1 comment:

  1. Where did you buy it? Got some at the coast and I liked it.

    ReplyDelete