Saturday, July 13, 2013

Brouwerij Roman N.V. - Rince Cochon

Here piggy, piggy!
My beer drinking rarely takes me out of Portland, let alone the country. Don't get me wrong, I'm not into snobby beer local-ism or anything like that. There are just so many awesome Oregon beers I want to try--and new ones coming out all the time--that I spend most of my beer pickin' efforts on the local stuff.

I like going to beer sharing events because someone always brings something that I probably would never buy myself. Lots of unique, interesting stuff hits the table. At the last bottle share I attended, somebody brought a blonde Belgian--I'm talking beer, not supermodel. These are beer geeks, after all.

Rince Cochon means "drunk pig" and there's a graphic depicting just that on the label of this 8.5% ABV import.

The beer poured in my improvised tasting glass a hazy, pale yellow color. Even with a tiny taster amount, there was a good amount of foamy white head.

Very yeasty, bready smell right up front. Aroma was also quite fruity: apple, grape, pear.

Taste was light, bready malt and lemon zest. Belgian spice and yeast. Cardamon and clove. There was a noticeable alcohol bite but not overpowering.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Rince Cochon is tasty beer and I wouldn't mind having a bottle NOT to share. I'm giving it a BeerGuPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment