Tuesday, July 23, 2013

BridgePort Brewing Company - Smooth Ryed

Helluva ryed?
I really like rye beer. Hell, I love rye whiskey, too. Rye bread, yeah! Let's just say I have a big respect for that spicy grass. Somebody brought a six pack of BridgePort Brewing's Smooth Ryed Ale to my last backyard BBQ... Actually, I don't have a backyard. All of my neighbors have backyards, but mine is just a giant-ass frontyard. There's nothing behind my house except an alley where drunk hipsters pee (PBR pee adds insult to injury) and out of control blackberry canes grow.

Rye isn't for everyone. It's a sophisticated, acquired taste. If you're the kind of person who thinks rye anything is "yucky", well, you're probably six years old and you shouldn't be drinking beer anyway.

Smooth Ryed poured from 12 oz. bottle into my glass a clear, orange-ish amber color. The white head rose up to about a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated at a moderate rate. A full cap of lacing was left behind with a good amount of spotty lace all over the glass.

Aroma was interesting. Over-ripe stone fruit, citrus and butterscotch. Toasted malt and herbal tea.

Taste was lemony citrus and spicy rye. Toasted, earthy malt. The balance between the bitter hops and sweet malt was really nice. 

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Dry finish. I really liked the spicy rye flavor left on the palate at the end.

I like this rye. Good stuff. I'm giving Smooth Ryed a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment