Friday, July 19, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - Barn Owl Imperial Brown Ale

It's a hoot.
I gotta say that Alameda Brewing Company  knows how to do it, and I'm not just talking about brewing great beer. This NE Portland brewer knows how to inspire and cultivate neighborhood loyalty. Their $5 Saturday growler deal is the best beer deal in Stumptown. They also treat customers at the brewpub like their business is appreciated and valued. To me, a regular guy without a limitless beer budget, that means something. I like to get the most beer bang for my buck, and Alameda delivers. I'm a fan.

I was happy to find that Alameda was putting on a little beer tasting at the Hollywood Grocery Outlet this afternoon. (For folks not familiar with Portland, there is a Hollywood neighborhood in this burg.) I've already tried most of the offerings they were showcasing at the tasting table, except the Barn Owl Imperial Brown Ale. That was a mighty tasty beer and I had to pick up a bomber to review.

The beer poured from bomber into my pint glass a deep, dark brown color with a thick, creamy, tan head. The head rose up to more than a finger thick and dissipated very slowly. Copious amounts of lacing remained behind.

Aroma was earthy malt up front. Toffee and caramel. Dark Fruit.

Taste was nutty, toasted, earthy malt. Buttery, mild cocoa notes. Nice bitter hops zing with a slight citrus flavor. Pleasantly complex.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Slightly creamy finish with just a bit of an alcohol taste.

Barn Owl is an easy drinker. I really like this one and would definitely buy it again. I'm giving this brew a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.





No comments:

Post a Comment