Sunday, July 21, 2013

2 Towns Ciderhouse - The Bad Apple

...don't spoil the whole batch
I've been trying quite a few hard ciders lately. Just expanding my drinking horizons. Two things I've noticed about ciders: 1) They're expensive and 2) They usually have a really big ABV. I suppose that means you get more bang for your booze buck, but with the typical bomber of cider costing more than $5, it's hard to talk myself into buying the stuff very often.

Luckily, I can often find cider on sale at the Grocery Outlet. I buy quite a bit of beer at "The Used Food Store", as my wife calls the place. Seriously, though, Grocery Outlet has some great prices on beer (and cider) and a huge selection. The other day, I picked up a bottle of 2 Towns Ciderhouse's The Bad Apple.

The Bad Apple comes with a big ABV at 10.5% and comes from Corvalis, Oregon. The label also says it's aged on Oregon White Oak.

The cider poured from the 500ml bottle to my glass a clear, light golden color. A tiny amount of white foamy head came forth at the initial pour and quickly dissipated.

Aroma was sweet apples and a hint of tart acidity in the background.

Taste was apple and pear. Light spice but I didn't detect any oak notes. Very pleasant tartness.

Good carbonation. No significant booziness to this high ABV cider. Dry finish.

The Bad Apple isn't bad at all. Well, it's bad-good, not bad-bad. A couple of bombers of this stuff could get a lightweight screwed up pretty fast, though. It's a decent cider and I'd likely buy it again if the price is right. I'm giving The Bad Apple a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment