Sunday, June 9, 2013

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - Marionberry Hibiscus Gose

Berry, berry good.
What's a marionberry? No, not the crack smokin', "bit*h set me up", Washington, DC mayor from the '90's. That's a totally different Marion Barry. The marionberry we are dealing with here is a plumb, juicy variety of blackberry that's grown all over the place here in Oregon. 

If you're not from Northwest Oregon, you're probably unaware of the fact that blackberry plants are insidious weeds around these parts. I do battle with the blackberry canes in back of my house every spring, and if I'm not thoroughly diligent about chopping them back (with a machete), they'll overtake the house. I'm not kidding. Those canes can get up to 12 feet tall.

The big positive about the whole "invasive species" thing is, of course, that I get to enjoy a big crop of tasty blackberries that can be plucked off the vines (watch out for those thorns) from my bathroom window.

I suppose it's only natural that one of Oregon's premiere craft beer makers, Widmer Brothers, has brewed a marionberry beer. You can't get much more Oregon than that. Brewers throughout the ages have used indigenous ingredients that were cheap, prolific and often found right in their own backyards.

Marionberry Hibiscus Gose poured from bomber into my snifter a bubbly, slightly hazy, purplish rose color. The minimal white head dissipated quickly and left no lacing behind.

Aroma was very floral up front, which I'm guessing was the hibiscus. Spice and berry smells in the background with just a hint of bready, biscuity, yeastiness in there, too.

Taste was tart berry--lots of tart berry--with an herbal tea-like flavor in the aftertaste. Nice balance of sweet and sour. Not too much of a pucker to it.

Thin mouthfeel with a significant amount of carbonation. I found this brew to be very light, crisp and refreshing. Very sessionable and I could knock back a couple of bombers by myself.

I'm giving Marionberry Hibiscus Gose a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment