Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH - Stiegl Pils

Gunter glieben glauchen globen
I'm pretty much stuck in a rut of drinking nothing but Northwest brews. Hey, don't get me wrong, that's a damn awesome rut to be stuck in, but variety is supposed to be the spice of life and a man is only as interesting as his experiences. Therefore, I'm trying my best to branch out beyond the rainy realm of the Cascades and try some beers from far and away.

Tonight, the beer of choice is Stiegl Pils. It's from Austria. I don't know much about Austria, except what I remember from "Sound of Music". Kids dressed in drapes and singing sappy tunes with a Nordic Mary Poppins. Weird place, but I'm guessing they know how to make some decent beer. Stiegl Pils is a German-style Pilsner and it comes in with an ABV of 4.9%.

The beer poured into my pilsner glass a light golden yellow color. The foamy white head came up to a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. Lots of webby lacing was left all over the glass and a thin cap was present throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was malt and mild grassy hops. Not a lot of smell was coming off this one.

Taste was sweet, bready malt backed up by mild, lemony hops. Very crisp and clean with some cereal grain flavor in the background, but not at all corny.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. A dry finish and a smooth malt aftertaste was left on my palate. Nothing skunky or funky like some European beers I've tried in the past.

Good stuff. Not really my style of beer, but I wouldn't turn one down at a wedding reception and/or wake. I'm giving Stiegl Pils a BeerGuyPDX rating or 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment