Sunday, June 2, 2013

Occidental Brewing Company - Occidental Kölsch

Sometimes, less is more.
I have to be honest, the main reason why I bought this beer is because it's in a can. I walked to the market today and I didn't want to tote back a bottle. I already had half a ton of groceries to carry home. Well, not half a ton, but I certainly didn't need to make my load any heavier. That's one of the reasons why I like beer packaged in cans--soooo much lighter to pack around.

This beer is described on the can as "Occidental's homage to the delicious ale of Cologne, Germany. Crisp and dry with a subtle hop profile." The ABV is 4.5%.

This self-described German-Style Ale poured into my shaker pint from the can a clear, light golden, yellow color. The big, bubbly, white head came up quickly to a full finger thick and then rapidly disappeared. Little to no lacing was left behind.

Aroma was light citrus and grassy hops. Sweet malt and grain.

Taste followed the nose. Sweet malt, notes of honey and lemon. Very crisp and clean.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with very lively carbonation. Dry finish. I drank this beer after an afternoon of lawn mowing and weed whacking. It sure was refreshing and I could have used another one, or two. Very drinkable and highly sessionable. Good stuff.

I'm giving Occidental Kölsch a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment