Monday, June 3, 2013

New Holland Brewing Company - Blue Sunday Sour 2012

Singing the blues.
Here's another great beer I got via beer trading. I was really thinking about cellaring this vintage 2012, but my lack of discipline is truly legendary. Yup, there are exactly two beers in my beer cellar (which is a dark recess between my kitchen counter and my bar). Many vintage beers have been reserved for the "cellar", but few have stayed there for very long.

Alas, Blue Sunday Sour by New Holland Brewing Company never made it into my cellar. I drank it tonight and I have to say that I very few regrets. This 8.4% ABV, oak-aged, sour fruit beer was delicious.

Blue Sunday Sour poured from 22 oz. bomber into my snifter a murky, deep purplish, reddish color with a minimal, bluish head. The head dissipated quickly and left little to no lacing behind.

Smell was sour grapes and blueberries with a mild oak aroma in the background. A distinct booziness became more apparent as the beer warmed up, as well as more defined fruit aromas: currents, cherries and plums.

Taste was sour cherries and blueberries from first sip and all the way through. Prominent oak flavor, but it didn't overpower the tart fruit.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

All in all, this is a delightful beer and a nice deviation from my usual big hop bomb line-up. I'm giving Blue Sunday Sour a very respectable 3 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment