Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Amarillo Single Hop IPX

Yellow, I love you, won't you
tell me your name?
It was kind of difficult to determine the exact name of this beer from the label. I'm just sayin'. "Hopworks IPX Single Hop Ale Series Single Hop Amarillo Ale," Whew! That's a mouthful! Just stick a "Hollingsworth" in there and it could be the name of a British Lord or something.

Oh, yeah! I almost forgot: Happy Fathers Day, fellow dads! Actually, I'm crying in my proverbial beer right now because not a single one of my ungrateful kids has called to offer their dear devoted pops any Fathers Day wishes. Grrrrr.

Isn't it time we put this "holiday" out of its misery? I'm going to spent this Father's Day doing pretty much what I do every Sunday. I'll bust out the Weber kettle, pop open a few brewskis and kick back in my lawn chair; enjoying the company of my wife and whatever off-spring happen to be wandering through the house. Why don't we just declare the third Sunday in June National BBQ and Beer Day and call Father's Day quits? Huh? Sound good? That way, nobody has to feel guilty about forgetting to get pops a present--most of us dads would be more than happy with the BBQ and beer anyway.

Let's face it--and be honest--this is the one holiday nobody wants to celebrate. You know it's true. Kids dread Father's Day almost as much as having to listening to dad tell one of his "stupid stories". Heck, Portland even puts on it's Gay Pride celebration every Father's Day weekend, making it even more likely that everybody will forget all about dumb ol' dad on his "special day".

For all you dutiful dad's out there, you know your's is a thankless task. You suck it up and do whatever is necessary to feed, clothe and support your progeny, all in the hope that you'll get an ugly tie once a year to commemorate your sacrifices. Riiiiight. In truth, most of us don't really want any thanks or official recognition for what we do as fathers. We do what real men should do--father our kids. By the way, we'd very much prefer you kids go out and get a job than give us a bottle of Old Spice and an unsigned Hallmark card once a year. Seriously, get your feet off my couch and go get a job.

For all you deadbeat dads out there, you know who you are, you slimeballs. I hope you at least have a moment of remorseful introspection on this day. Think about cutting a check for that back child support you owe, or better yet, spend some time with your kids. They'd love to hear from you, even if you're a slimeball. Kids are funny that way.

Anyway, didn't this start out as a beer review? It did!

Amarillo Ale poured from bomber into my pint glass a clear, bright orange color with a minimal white head. The head came up to about an inch tall with some coaxing and dissipated quickly. A decent amount of sudsy lacing was left behind.

Aroma was indistinct citrus with some spicy and floral notes in the background. Not a lot of malt to the nose.

Taste was citrusy up front: orange and lemon. Mild bitterness but with a harsh quality that I didn't really care for. A spicy, almost metallic taste lingered on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with medium to low carbonation. Dry finish.

That's probably the risk of making a single hop beer--some people may not care for the character of that single hop. I'm thinking that I'm not a big Amarillo hop fan. Still, it's a decent IPA. It just didn't trip my wires. I'm giving this one a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment