Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hop Valley Brewing Company - Alphadelic IPA

Definitely not the brown acid...
I don't claim to be a botanist or a brewing expert. I'm just a simple, beer-loving consumer--a regular guy who has made drinking and ranking beers his all-consuming pastime. Hey, everybody needs a hobby. Mine is probably just a bit more delicious than yours, that's all I'm sayin'.

I love big, bitter, flavorful brews. Give me an IPA with some serious pucker power and I'm a happy man. And what gives those IPA's their bitter bite? Hops, that's what. From what I've read in Wikipedia, hops resins are composed of two main acids: alpha and beta acids. Beta acids can have an effect on the aroma of a beer. Alpha acids are what gives hops their bitter zing. Alpha acids also have antibiotic properties. How interesting is that?

I picked up a bomber of Hop Valley Brewing's Alphadelic IPA at Freddie's today. With a name like Alphadelic, how could I go wrong?

The beer poured into the glass a slightly hazy, golden orange color. The thick, creamy, clumpy, white head rose up to more than a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A great deal of sudsy lacing was left behind.

Aroma was sweet caramel malt and tropical fruit. Pineapple, guava and citrus. A good amount of pine filled the nose as well.

Taste was citrus: orange and tangerine. Tropical fruit notes with a bit of an herbal spiciness in the background. Not the big sting to the tastebuds that I was expecting from the advertised 90 IBU's. Still, there was a good amount of bitterness, well-balanced with the underlying sweetness.

Medium mouthfeel and good carbonation. The finish was dry and I got just a hint of alcohol taste from this 6.7% ABV brew.

This is a really nice IPA. Reminded my of Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA. Definitely a beer that I would drink again at any opportunity. If I saw it on tap, I'd order it. I'm giving Alphadelic a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. Merry the Wonder Beagle was all over me as soon as I popped the cap on the bomber, so Alphadelic also earns a Droolie.



No comments:

Post a Comment