Sunday, June 2, 2013

Freigeist Bierkultur - Peated AbraxXxas

Do you believe in magic?
I don't drink much German beer, which is kind of funny considering that three of my grandparents were German and that my heritage is one of the main reasons I'm so into beer. I grew up in houses decorated with paintings of Bavarian castles, cuckoo clocks and beer steins lining the shelves of wood paneled walls. I always dreamed of being one of those jolly, fat men in lederhosen chugging down beer from humongous steins. Well, I've achieved the jolly and fat goals, but I do most of my drinking from a pint glass.

Apex Bar usually has quite an eclectic mix of beer styles on their tap list, and they usually have a few imports. As previously mentioned, I don't often venture across the pond when I'm drinking beer, but I felt a bit adventurous yesterday. The Peated Abraxxxas caught my attention. A peated beer? Interesting. It came in a 12 oz. pour at 6.0% ABV.

The beer presented a hazy, golden orange color with a foamy, white head. The head dissipated quickly but left a decent amount of lacing behind. It was a pretty pour.

Aroma was citrus-y. Lemon. There was also a noticeable smoky, peat-y smell in the background.

Taste had some pucker power right at first sip. Sour and acrid, but not in a bad way. It was tart but tasty like a Meyer lemon. There was definitely a smoky, BBQ flavor in there, too. Very interesting flavors competing for attention. I didn't detect any hint of hops flavor in this stuff.

Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation. Surprisingly, this beer is very drinkable. Once you got used to the sour, it actually went down easily. I liked it.

Sometimes, it pays to go outside of your comfort zone. I'm giving Abraxxxas a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment